The transportation of large quantities of goods across both long and short distances can be a tricky business. Determining which form of transportation is most effective for you is made difficult by the number of factors at play.
Some methods of transportation are quicker but are also more expensive, whereas others are the exact opposite. It is crucial for your business that you understand which areas you need to prioritize when moving your goods.
Understanding the ins and outs of the freight and shipping industry can be a daunting task, which is why logistics companies like EP Logistics are here to lend their expertise and help businesses make those tough decisions.
Any good logistics company has to be versatile and able to provide a number of different transportation solutions to accommodate for your distribution needs. We have put together a list of integral transportation solutions and will discuss the importance of each one.
1. Ocean Freight Ocean freight services are one of the most advantageous transportation solutions available to those who are looking to ship goods internationally. Ocean freight has been around for a very long time and, since the majority of the earth is covered in water, is the most popular method of transporting goods on an international scale.
Ocean freight services are typically four to six times cheaper than air freight shipping, making them one of the most economical options on the market. Shipping goods internationally via the ocean is efficient, cost-effective, safe, and more environmentally friendly than other forms of transportation.
Any logistics company worth its salt will recognize the numerous advantages that come with ocean freight and will be able to accommodate your needs. EP Logistics is a licensed Ocean Transportation Intermediary (OTI) and a Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier (NVOCC).
We have direct contracts with all major steamship lines and are well positioned to handle all aspects of your ocean shipping needs. In addition, we have offices present in all the major ports around the world.
2. Air Freight While air freight is one of the more expensive transportation solutions, it is still an important option for any logistics company to offer, as it provides many benefits that you can’t find anywhere else.
Air freight is unquestionably the fastest method of shipping goods, both nationally and internationally, and it offers highly efficient departure and arrival times. Flights are running constantly, so, if one is missed, it is easy to send your goods on the next available one.
Shipping goods via the air is highly secure, requires less packaging, and reduces the need for local warehousing and extra stock due to the quick travel times. At EP Logistics, we have offices in every major airport in the world.
We recognize full well that air freight is a costly method of transporting goods, so we seize every opportunity to save you money without compromising service quality, communication, and travel times.
3. Trucking Trucking is an excellent option for shipping goods within a single country and especially for relatively short distances. While it can be costly to transport goods via trucking across very long distances, the cost savings are a huge advantage when the distance is a shorter one.
When it comes to deciding between utilizing trucking services or air freight, the travel distance is a huge factor. If it is a relatively short distance, then trucking is most likely the way to go, but if you are transporting goods from one end of the United States to the other, then air freight is probably the best option.
Companies like EP Logistics have access to thousands of trucks at any given time, ensuring that the transportation of your goods will be fast and reliable. Many trucking companies are local to specific communities which provides better communication and relations between you and them.
Reputable trucking companies are also very versatile, being able to accommodate a number of needs, including, but not limited to, flatbed trucking, heavy hauling, same- and next-day delivery, and intermodal transport services.
4. Warehousing Warehousing is a very important part of a logistics management system. It provides storage for the finished goods, as well as a place to process the packing and shipping of an order. Warehousing provides a centralization of goods, making it easier to store, receive, and distribute them.
A good warehousing system also helps increase the utility value of goods, as the products are available at the right place at the right time. It also allows numerous other operations, such as order consolidation, order assembly, mixing of products, and cross-docking to take place under one roof, thus adding value to the overall logistics systems.
A warehouse that is running efficiently will reduce expenses and streamline operations. EP Logistics offers major companies a comprehensive, flexible spectrum of distribution and warehousing solutions. When your goods are not being transported, they need to be stored somewhere and EP Logistics is here to accommodate your needs.
5. Customs Compliance with customs regulations is a crucial aspect of any transportation and logistics company. For your goods to be transported in an effective and efficient manner, your logistics firm of choice must be in good standings with the customs of different areas of the world.
If proper customs regulations and rules are not followed, then your company could be penalized. This could happen by mistake, which is why it is important to be knowledgeable about how customs work in different countries.
EP Logistics has licensed customs brokers as part of our staff and has over twenty years of experience in international transportation, so we know everything there is to know about international freight. Our expertise in the compliance with customs regulations will provide you peace of mind while handling the transportation of your goods.
If you are looking for any number of the aforementioned transportation solutions and logistics services, then contact EP Logistics so that we can lend you our experience and expertise and discuss how to most effectively improve the transportation of your company’s goods and products.